SA: Foundation to challenge Home Affairs Minister on Zimbabwe Permits
The Helen Suzman Foundation (HSF) will fight Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi‘s appeal of the High Court judgment on the Zimbabwe Exemption Permits (ZEP).
In June, a full bench of the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria found that Motsoaledi’s decision to terminate the ZEP, which would have affected more than 178 000 people living in South Africa, was invalid and unconstitutional.
The court said the ZEP would be extended for another 12 months.
Executive director Nicole Fritz said on Monday that her organisation will approach the courts to safeguard the integrity of the judgment finding.
The HSF is concerned that Motsoaledi’s appeal could affect the expiry date for the ZEP holders, resulting in no real relief for ZEP holders.
“HSF approached the Minister asking that he agree to observe the protections extended to ZEP holders pending the conclusion of the appeal process. This was refused. It is on this basis that HSF approaches the court,” said Fritz.
She also warned of what she called “shadowy organisations” which are misrepresenting the HSF’s application less than one day after the HSF had filed its papers with the parties.
She also hit back at claims that last week’s apartment fire in the Johannesburg CBD was the fault of nongovernment organisations.
She pointed out nongovernment organisations have played a huge role in South Africa to secure rights and fight against corruption and malfeasance.
“Coordinated attempts to discredit NGOs and erode the public’s trust through lies and misrepresentation are an attack on democracy itself,” she said.