All 15 miners trapped 4 days underground at Redwing Mine rescued alive

All 15 miners trapped 4 days underground at Redwing Mine rescued alive

By Agencies

An emergency operation has rescued all 15 subsistence miners who had been trapped for four days after a shaft collapsed at Redwing Mine in Penhalonga, near Mutare.

The artisanal miners were rescued on Sunday following the deployment of top technology by the Government to figure out their exact location underground.

Teams from local mining companies such as Metallon Corporation, owners Redwing Mine and Freda Rebecca Gold Mine assisted with the rescue effort.

“Initially we had four that came out and now we have a total of 15 that have been rescued. We want to thank the Lord who has made these people survive,” said the mines and mining development minister Soda Zhemu. 

“What we got from them (the rescued) is that the whole mine underground is collapsed, and this must be known by everyone. An assessment will have to be done before operations or activities resume at this mine. 

Mines and Mining Development Minister Soda Zhemu

“But we are grateful that all of them have survived. I want to thank everybody who has participated in this rescue operation: all Government departments and the community around as well as others in the mining industry such as Freda Rebecca who came in with all forms of assistance.” 

Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare Minister July Moyo added; “We are all happy because the rescue operation was a success and the level of coordination among Government and the private sector was excellent, led by the Civil Protection Unit of Zimbabwe.

“Other mines also joined in this rescue operation; it was a well-coordinated rescue operation. We are very happy that Zimbabwe has the capabilities and technologies to rescue its people when we have challenges or accidents of this nature.

“Those who were trapped were also very professional. I am told that when the mine collapsed, they went deeper down to ensure they will not be hit by the falling debris.

“I also want to thank their families who were very cooperative while waiting for the completion of the rescue mission,”