UK: Brothers jailed 4 years for murder for fellow Zimbabwean; family says loss ‘unbearable’

UK: Brothers jailed 4 years for murder for fellow Zimbabwean; family says loss ‘unbearable’

By Staff Reporter

LEICESTER: Two brothers have been jailed after pleading guilty to seriously assaulting a man who died from his injuries.

Craig Maposa had been with friends at a Leicester nightclub, when he was attacked by Blessing and Brendon Mukunguruste at around 5.40am on Saturday 5 August 2023.

The 26-year-old sustained a serious head injury which resulted in his death a few days later.

This Friday (22 March) the brothers were sentenced at Leicester Crown Court after pleading guilty to manslaughter earlier this month.

Blessing Mukunguruste, 31, Coronation Avenue, Wigston and Brendon Mukunguruste, 27, of Cleveleys Avenue, Leicester, were both given four and half years.

The sentence imposed on Brendon Mukunguruste will run consecutive to a prison term he is already serving for an unrelated offence.

Maphosa’s family issued a statement after the sentencing.

“The pain of losing Craig is so unbearable to everyone that was blessed to have known him for his 26 years on this earth. Craig was a remarkable person who treated everyone with love and kindness and it is so sad he did not get this in return,” the family said.

“Craig’s passing has had a massive impact on our lives. We are truly devastated and miss him so much. We miss his quirky sense of humour, his dances, his cheeky smile and his huge presence. We miss witnessing the fulfilment he found in everyday life and his faith.”

According to Leicester police, it was after leaving the nightclub in the early hours of Saturday 5 August that an argument occurred between Maposa and the Mukunguruste brothers.

The late Craig Maposa

The row continued as they walked away from the club but as they turned into Gower Street the defendants physically attacked the victim – punching him to the floor and knocking him unconscious.

The pair then left the scene after dragging the victim out of the road and leaving him alone on the pavement.

Maposa regained consciousness a short time later and was helped by a member of the public who walked with him towards Gravel Street, Leicester.

Around 8.25am he got into a taxi and was taken to his home address in the Eyres Monsell area of Leicester. The following day, on the evening of Sunday 6 August, he was found unresponsive at his home and taken to hospital.

Tests showed the 26-year-old had suffered a large bleed on the brain and despite the efforts of medical staff he was pronounced dead on Monday 7 August. His life support was withdrawn the following day.

Following his admission to hospital, detectives from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit (EMSOU) Murder Investigation Team immediately began to investigate and piece together Mr Maposa’s movements.

The brothers were quickly identified as being involved in an altercation with the victim a few days prior and they were subsequently arrested.

Both brothers were initially charged with murder and were due to stand trial this month. Following the instruction of a number of digital forensic experts the charge was changed to manslaughter and both men have now pleaded guilty to that offence.

Detective Inspector David Greenhalgh, Senior Investigating Officer, said: “I am pleased the defendants pleaded guilty to causing the death of Mr Maposa – saving his family the pain of having to attend court for a trial and hearing again the details of this terrible incident.

“What started out as a verbal argument has ended with such a tragic outcome. A young man has sadly died after being violently attacked and a family now have to live with the continued pain and grief of losing a loved one.

“I would urge anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation to walk away from a disagreement before it becomes physical. An incident lasting only a few minutes could have devastating consequences for everyone involved.”